Monday, November 26, 2012

Final Project, Week 2: 1 Album, 4 Minutes: Taylor Swift's "Red"

Despite being away from home for nearly a week for Thanksgiving break, I've made a lot of progress on my mashup. I recorded all the piano and scratch vocals before I left, and then while sitting on planes and in cars I programmed the vocal melody and adjusted all of the tempo changes. The tempo changes were definitely making me nervous, but once I carefully balanced them out, I was so pleased with the final foundation of the song!

This evening I've recorded all the lead vocals, and started recording some of the background vocals. This semester I've really missed singing/recording since I've been so busy with homework... so it's been really fun to have a chance for it to BE my homework!


I really wanted to try doing the stutter background vocal from the title song, "Red," so I gave it a shot and I actually figured it out. It was pretty simple but I'm SO excited about it!!! It sounds just like the effect in the original. I've been wanting to learn how to do a stutter vocal for a while and now I have a new skill :] Here's a clip so you can hear it:


I also recorded a short ukulele part. The original version of the song "Stay Stay Stay" features ukulele, so I decided to use it for that part of the mashup. I might use it in other parts but I haven't decided yet.


This week my plan is to program drums, finish recording harmonies, add some synth/bass, and shoot video of the lead vocals/piano accompaniment. I'm right on track with my original plan, which is quite a relief.

Since her album is called Red, Taylor Swift has been wearing the color red at every performance and appearance. She's even been using a red microphone. I'm planning on getting out every red item in my closet and wearing them in all the different shots of the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment